Is knee pain slowing you down?
Do you avoid stairs, inclines or bending down for fear of pain?
Do you feel like your knees need “oiling” in the morning to get going?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, you’re not alone.
Knee pain or knee soreness is the third most common problem that people seek help for when they come to our physiotherapy practice. Over the past six years we have helped over 2,500 people with knee pain and other problems return to a normal lifestyle. When we first saw these patients we asked them “How is your knee problem affecting you?” They told us their knee pain affects them in five key situations:
- Negotiating Stairs
- Walking up or down inclines
- Bending down
- Rising from a chair or car seat (especially after sitting for a period), and
- Their sport or fitness regime.
In many cases you can get rid of, of drastically reduce knee pain without resorting to injections or surgery, and there is always something you can do to help yourself. Here are three easy self-help tips that could give you relief from knee pain quickly:
- Wear supportive shoes like runners or sturdy lace up shoes for a week. There is a strong connection between the foot and the knee and for many people, switching to a more supportie shoe is a simple strategy that can reduce pain with weight bearing activities like walking and stairs.
- Support the knee cap with taping: This is one of the key recommendations from an International Expert Panel on knee pain and is simple to do. . . with a little instruction! Watch our video here to learn how to tape your own knee – for immediate relief.
- Start some simple exercises to strengthen the muscles supporting the knee. As we get older we lose muscle strength around the knee unless we are doing something active to prevent this. Our video shows you three simple exercises you can do at home to help get those supporting muscles working. Click here to watch it.
Now, if you are reading this article and either you or your spouse suffers from knee pain, I want you to know this: At our Wodonga practice we are experts in helping people in the 40+ age bracket find lasting relief from knee pain. As an experienced physiotherapist I know at least 13 specific strategies that have helped many people with painful knees return to their previous activities. But we’re not allowed to use testimonials to tell you about those patients. So in the interest of helping you make an informed decision about what’s best for you, here’s three things you can do:
- Watch our videos on knee pain, including:
- Call Mary or Alicia at our Wodonga clinic on 6056 6616 and request our FACT sheet on hip and knee pain, by email or post. This provides great information on common causes of knee pain, as well as some more tips on things you can do to help yourself.
- Send me an email ([email protected]) and share your story about your knee problem. You can share as little or as much as you like – I’d love to hear from you. You can relate your own knee story and if it is similar to the hundreds of other knee pain patients we have seen at our practice, I’ll reply with some helpful advice on what successful treatment could look like for you!
Yours in Health